Threadlocker, Thread Sealants & Threadlocking Adhesives
A threadlocker—also referred to as thread-locking fluid or threadlocking adhesive—is a specialized type of single-component adhesive that is applied to the threads of screws, bolts, and other fasteners to prevent loosening, corrosion, and leakage caused by normal, everyday use.
Threadlocker may be applied either before or after assembly, depending on the type. Threadlocking adhesives are available in "permanent" and "removable" formulas, with heavy-duty permanent threadlockers rated to withstand as much as 3,000 psi (21 MPa) in shear. Some tread-locking fluids can be released/removed by applying heat. Because threadlockering adhesives typically rely on the electrochemical activity of a metal substrate to form a bond, substrates require thorough cleaning and, in the case of less electrochemically active metals such as aluminum, priming, before threadlocker is applied.
Jay-Cee Sales & Rivet Has the Thread-Locking Fluid You Need
Jay-Cee Sales & Rivet stocks a wide variety of threadlocking adhesives and sealants, including Vibra-Tite VC-3 Threadmate. We also carry industrial glue and adhesives, adhesive washers, Gasket Maker compound, and more. See below for our full inventory of thread-locking fluids options. View individual product listings for additional information and specifications.
Order today, request a quote, or contact us for more information on our threadlocker options.
If you’re not sure which thread-locking fluid is right for your application, click here for our comprehensive adhesives questionnaire. It’s designed to help you find the best and most effective solution for your unique needs.
Our product is up to 40% less than Loc-tite®
Notes on Threadlocker Use
- Because electrochemical activity is one of the two triggers that cause polymerization of thread-locking fluid, care must be taken to avoid contaminating the entire container of threadlocker with threadlocker that has already been in contact with metal, as this may cause the material in the container to polymerize.
- Typically, threadlocking adhesives are methacrylate-based, and cure anaerobically (with the absence of air).
- Threadlocker is a thixotropic fluid, meaning that under shear stress, it exhibits a time-dependent decrease in viscosity. This allows it to flow well over time, yet still resist short-duration shearing, as in vibration or shock.
- Lock washers, locknuts, and safety wires may be used in conjunction with threadlocking adhesives for added strength.
- Threadlocker is typically sold in small containers, in amounts from 5 milliliters (about one teaspoon) to 250 milliliters (8.5 fl. oz.). Containers or container caps are often color-coded to indicate their strength.
- Threadlocker is also available in sticks and in tape form (similar to Teflon tape).
Vibra-Tite VC-3 ThreadmateAs authorized Vibra-Tite distributors, Jay-Cee Sales & Rivet can provide our customers with the unique VC-3 Threadmate thread-locking fluid. This powerful locking and sealing coating for threaded fasteners works on the principle of “friction through viscosity.”
There are several key differences between Vibra-Tite VC-3 Threadmate and “standard” threadlocking adhesives:
- While most thread-locking fluid dries anaerobically (due to the absence of air) once it comes into contact with metal surfaces, VC-3 will quickly dry to the touch in the open air.
- Standard threadlocking adhesives are applied as you are installing your fasteners; VC-3 should be allowed to dry before fastener assembly.
- VC-3 Threadmate provides performance equal to Loctite®, but costs as much as 40% less.